Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Psalm 62

"Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken."  Psalm 62:5-6

In this Psalm King David found Himself threatened by people who wished to dethrone him and do him harm.  In this dangerous situation David turned to the Lord.  David said in Psalm 62:1, "My soul find rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him."  David found his rest, confidence, help, and peace in the Lord alone.

We too can find our confidence and help in the Lord alone.  If we put our confidence in anything or anyone but the Lord, we will often be disappointed.  We, however, can go to the Lord at any time and anyplace; and He will be our help and strength.  Hence, the Lord is also our source of peace and repose in this world of turmoil.  In Psalm 62:2 David says, "He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will never be shaken."  Like David the Lord is our rock or foundation.  We can trust the Lord at all times.  He is our sure foundation even when it seems as  if our world is crumbling and falling down around us.  The Lord is our salvation.  He is our Savior from sins.  He also saves us from many unseen perils and pitfalls each and every day.  The Lord is our fortress or protection.  Hence, not matter what is going on in our lives; we need "never be shaken."

In spite of all his troubles David had learned the secret of waiting and resting in the Lord.  So often when we face a crisis in our lives we try to work out the adverse situation or circumstances by our own devices.  Sometimes we will also run to other people for help.  Often we go to the Lord only as a last resort.  We need to follow David's example and go to the Lord first.  We must find rest in the Lord alone.  David said in Psalm 62:5-6, "Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from Him.  He alone is my rock and my salvation; He is my fortress, I will not be shaken."

Notice in these verses David was once again repeating and acknowledging what he has already said in verses one and two of Psalm 62.  Rest and peace for David's soul could be found in the Lord God alone.  The Lord was His only hope for time and eternity.  The Lord alone was David's rock, salvation, and fortress.  We too must find our rest, peace, protection, and help in the Lord alone.  Then we can say with David, "I will not be shaken."  No matter what the situation we can trust the Lord and rest in Him in quiet submission.  Our well-being for time and for eternity depends on the Lord God alone.  He is our sure foundation and refuge.

We have the absolute assurance of the Lord's protecting presence in our lives at all times.  Hence, David said in Psalm 62:8, "Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to Him, for God is our refuge."  The Lord will never fail us.  Hence, we must go to Him alone with our every need; and we must "pour out" our heart's needs and desires to Him.  The Lord understands our needs and sympathizes with us better than anyone else is able to do.  Psalm 62:9 reminds us that human beings are "but a breath."  Resorting to our own devices, especially sinful ones, to get us through a crisis will prove to be of no avail.  But our God is our refuge and help.  We serve a faithful God.  We also serve a loving and powerful God!  If we trust in the Lord, He will direct our paths!

No comments:

Post a Comment