Thursday, August 10, 2017

Psalm 51

"Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin."  Psalm 51:2

"Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow."  Psalm 51:7b

Sin is not a popular topic.  We do not like to think about the sins that reside in our lives.  We can not appreciate the wonder of our salvation in Jesus, however, if we do not realize the gravity of our sins. Also, we as redeemed believers, can not fight against sin and grow in holiness, if we do not come to an ever greater awareness of the gravity of our sins.

In Psalm 51 David expressed a deep sense of the depth and depravity of his sins.  David also expressed a profound desire for the Lord's forgiveness from his sins.  David said in Psalm 51:1-2, "Have mercy on me, O God, according to Your unfailing love; according to Your great compassion blot out my transgressions.  Wash away all my iniquity and cleanse me from my sin."

David called his grievous sins "transgressions" and "iniquity."  David knew he was in desperate need of the Lords's "unfailing love" and "great compassion."  David knew his only chance of being restored to a love relationship with the Lord was by having his sins blotted out and washed away. We too need to have a deep sense of our sins.  We too must run to the Lord in repentance and for forgiveness from our sins.  We too must be washed from our sins by the blood of Jesus, the Lamb of God.  Jesus Christ needs to wash away our sins and restore us to a right relationship with the Lord.

David went on to say in Psalm 51:3-4, "For I know my transgressions, and my sin is always before me.  Against You, You only, have I sinned and done what is evil in Your sight."  We often like to excuse and justify our sins, but there is no justification for sin against our Lord God.  We must confess those sins like the tax collector in Luke 18:13b.  Our prayer must be,"God, have mercy on me, a sinner."  There must be sorrow for sin, confession of sin to our Lord God, and a turning away from sin.  Like David our penitent prayer from our heart must be "Wash me, and I will be whiter than snow." (Psalm 51:7b)  Jesus Christ can and does wash away our sins and turns the filthy rags of our sinful lives into white robes of righteousness!

Verse eight of Psalm fifty-one even suggests that unconfessed sin can have physical consequences on our bodies.  Our desire and prayer to the Lord should be, "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me." (Psalm 51:10) Jesus Christ can restore us to a right relationship with Him, if we confess our sins and seek His cleansing with a sincere heart.  The Lord will then restore to us the joy of our salvation.  Joy in our relationship with the Lord only comes after we confess our sins,  After confessing our sins we must also pray for a "willing spirit to sustain" us in our struggle against sin and in our desire to live holy lives (Psalm 51:12).

The Lord does nor desire our empty rituals and sacrifices. Psalm 51:17 says "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart."  The sacrifices that the Lord desires from us is our grief over our sins.  He wants us to run to Him for forgiveness and restoration.

Psalm 51 :15 suggests that the Lord also desires the sacrifice of our mouths declaring His praises and our thanks for His forgiveness in our lives.  The Lord desires the sacrifices of lives totally devoted to Him in thanks for what He has done and continues to do for us!  Sin is a grievous thing in our lives. Praise God for His salvation in our lives!  Let us live our lives in a sacrifice and service of praise to Him!


No comments:

Post a Comment