Thursday, June 16, 2016

John 14:1-14

"Do not let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God; trust also in Me.  In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with Me that you also may be where I am."  John 14:1-3

"I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  John 14:6

"And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.  You may ask for anything in My name, and I will do it."  John 14:13-14


In chapter 14 of the Gospel of John it is the night before Jesus is to go on the cross for our sins. Jesus is telling His disciples of his imminent death.  Jesus is also speaking of leaving His disciples and returning to God, the Father.  The disciples are probably confused and troubled by what Jesus is saying to them.  Jesus tells them in John 14:1, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in Me."

When we are troubled by life's circumstances the first place we need to run it to the Lord.  We need to turn our worries or grief over to the Lord in trust.  We can do this, because even though we have difficulties and grief in this world we have a certain eternal future.  Jesus is preparing an eternal place for us with Him right now!  Jesus says to us in John 14:2, "In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you.  I am going there to prepare a place for you."

Furthermore, the Lord will return some day to take us to be with Him!  John goes on to say in John 14:3, "and if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with Me that you also may be where where I am."  Any difficulties we may have in this life are of little significance in light of the glories of an eternity with the Lord!

Jesus goes on to tell us that He is the only way to the Father and to life eternal.  Jesus says in John 14:6, "I am the way and the truth and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through Me."  The world tells us that we are being judgmental and narrow, if we say Jesus is the only way to eternal life. The Lord  makes it very clear in His Holy Word, however, that He is the only way to the Father and to eternal life.  There is only one price sufficient to purchase our way to heaven; and that is the death of Jesus, the Son of God, on the cross.

God, the Father, gave us His Son, Jesus, to be punished for our sins and to pay the price for our sins.  Jesus is the only way, truth, and life.  He will lead us safely through this life to eternal life! We must trust in Him alone, because Jesus is the very Son of God.  Jesus is God incarnate, and thus He is the only way to the Father and to an eternity with Him.

As His children we have intimate fellowship with the Lord.  Verse twelve of John chapter fourteen suggests that we will and can do great things in Jesus' name.  If we are totally submissive to His will and desirous of serving Him, He can use us in powerful ways.  John goes on to say in John 14:13-14. "And I will do whatever you ask in My name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.  You may ask for anything in My name, and I will do it."  If we are asking for things in our prayers which will bring glory and honor to God, the Lord will hear and answer such prayers.  The Lord will answer those prayers in a powerful way.  This is what gives meaning to life.  Jesus and living for Him is the way to joy, life, and truth.  Jesus Christ is the only way to blessings now and for eternity

No comments:

Post a Comment